This product is non-returnable.
HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s blended learning delivery method for the BLS Provider Course. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning in which a student completes part of the course online in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on skills session. HeartCode BLS is the online cognitive portion of BLS blended learning. It uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills. The course teaches single-rescuer and team BLS for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings (students choose between two tracks, but can complete/access both, if necessary).
After completing the eLearning portion, students will attend a structured Instructor-led course with an AHA BLS Instructor that focuses on meaningful skills practice, debriefing, team scenarios, discussions of local protocols and skills testing.
BLS is the foundation for saving lives after cardiac arrest. The AHA’s BLS Provider Course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both in-facility and prehospital settings.
After successfully completing the BLS Provider Course, students should be able to:
- Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival
- Describe all of the steps of the Chain of Survival and apply the BLS concepts of the Chain of Survival
- Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR
- Perform high-quality CPR for adults, children and infants
- Describe the importance of early use of an AED and demonstrate its use
- Provide effective ventilations by using a barrier device
- Describe the importance of team dynamics in multirescuer resuscitation and perform as an effective team member during multirescuer CPR
- Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction (choking) for adults and infants
Students who successfully complete the BLS Provider Course (including achieving a score of 84% or higher on the course exam) will receive a BLS Provider course completion card valid for two years.
Following are the specifications for HeartCode BLS:
- Includes in-facility and prehospital tracks; students choose the appropriate track before starting HeartCode BLS modules
- Includes 8 modules and 4 eSimulations
- eSimulation cases include:
- Two adult two-rescuer BLS cases
- One child one-rescuer BLS case
- One infant two-rescuer BLS case
- eSimulation cases include:
- Summary of critical concepts provided for each eSimulation case
- Virtual debriefings provided immediately after each eSimulation
- Includes the following downloadable resources:
- BLS Reference Card
- Team Diagram
- Summary of High-Quality CPR Components
- Skills Testing Checklists
- AHA Chain of Survival
- Provides online access to the BLS Provider Manual
- Multiple choice, 25-question exam to test cognitive knowledge
- Certificate of completion available to print after HeartCode BLS modules and simulations, exam, and course evaluation have been completed successfully
- Students may access all information included in HeartCode BLS for 24 months (two years) following activation of course